The Arab Center for the Studies of Arid Zones and Dry Lands, Syria (ACSAD)
ACSAD Conducts research into the development of the arid and semi-arid areas of the Arab World
ACSAD is a regional center for research and studies on the development of the arid and semi-arid areas of the Arab World. ACSAD’s activities include research, training programs, organizing scientific meetings, providing technical advice and assistance and establishing technical cooperation with Arab and international organizations.
ACSAD undertakes research and conducts training in the following areas:
- survey and evaluation of the capacities and characteristics of agricultural natural resources
- protection of agricultural natural resources from deterioration and pollution and identification of the optimum forms for the rehabilitation and exploitation of the deteriorated areas
- generation, transfer and use of appropriate agricultural techniques
- survey and evaluation of the socioeconomic characteristics of the population in arid and semi-arid areas of the Arab world and identification of the best methods of improving their productive capacity and standards of living
- integrated and sustainable development in specific areas in the Arab arid and semi-arid lands
- Enhancing the role and participation of rural women in agricultural development
ACSAD carries out its activities through five main departments:
- Water Resources Department
- Land Management and Water Use Department
- Plant Resources Department
- Economic and planning Department
- Animal Wealth Department
ACSAD also conducts integrated development projects, which include: the Date Palm Research and Development Network, The Camel Applied Research and Development Network (CARDEN), Monitoring and combating desertification project, and the Participatory Rainfed Agricultural Technology Development and Transfer to Farmers project.
ACSAD’s website includes further details about the Center’s activities, research programs and integrated projects as well as information about training, technical cooperation and the publications of ACSAD. The website is available in English and Arabic.